The Takayama Dental School was founded as the first educational institution of dentistry in Japan in 1890 in Isarago, Shiba, Tokyo by Kisai TAKAYAMA, a pioneer of modern western dentistry. His successor, Morinosuke CHIWAKI established Tokyo Dental School in Ogawa-cho, Kanda, Tokyo in 1906 and the following year, Tokyo Dental School was authorized by law as a Higher Special School. The first dean, Morinosuke CHIWAKI devoted his energy to educate gifted people such as Hideyo NOGUCHI, Tsurukichi OKUMURA, Kazuo SATO, and Kanae HANAZAWA.
In 1946, Tokyo Dental College became a seven-year college with a preparatory school (pre-dental course over 3 years) and a faculty was established under the University Law, In December, 1946, Ichikawa General Hospital was established in Ichikawa, Chiba prefecture near the Tokyo metropolitan area and it has been playing an important role as a medical educational institution since.
The present Tokyo Dental College was authorized in 1952 under the Fundamental Law of Education by Japanese Government. In 1958, Tokyo Dental College Graduate School, the first graduate school among the dental universities and colleges in Japan, was also authorized and the new wing of the faculty building was completed. The Chiba campus was completed in July, 1981 aided by the endeavors of many people related to the College. In March, 1990, the Suidobashi school building (TDC building) was completed as one of the Centennial Anniversary projects. Another key project of the Centennial Anniversary was the con- struction of the new Ichikawa General Hospital, which was also completed and opened in June 1992.
As a commemorative project for the 120th anniversary of its founding, the main campus was moved to Suidobashi in Tokyo in 2010. The Saikachizaka School Building and Suidobashi Annex were completed in 2012 and 2013.
The reconstruction of Chiba campus has been started as the new project for 130th anniversary. New Chiba Dental Center, the former Chiba Hospital is to open in 2021.